Austin Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
SEEK JUSTICE IN TEXAS WITH GLEN LARSON LAW
The NHTSA reports that 6.76 million police-reported traffic collisions occurred in the United States in 2019, resulting in 2.74 million injuries and 36,096 fatalities. Roughly 41% of all motor vehicle accidents in 2019 resulted in injuries.
Every day, millions of people get behind the wheel of their cars for commutes, local errands, or long road trips. Unfortunately, many of these drives end in accidents that lead to devastating injuries and even deaths due to distracted driving, texting while driving, and other forms of negligence behind the wheel. Damages and medical expenses resulting from these accidents can make you a victim permanently if you do not have professional legal representation. If you have been the victim of an accident and sustained a serious injury, bone fracture, or soft tissue injury, pursue compensation.
TEXAS CAR ACCIDENT STATISTICS
- In 2019, there were over 3,600 fatalities caused by motor vehicle accidents in the state of Texas. This equates to roughly one death every 2 hours and 26 minutes.
- There were 12,897 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2019, resulting in 15,843 serious injuries.
- Of those 3,600 fatalities, 886 involved alcohol-impaired drivers, and 366 were related to distracted driving.
- 731 people were killed in collisions involving an intersection.
- In the same year, 410 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents.
THE NATURE OF YOUR COLLISION IN AUSTIN, TEXAS
When most people think of auto accidents, they picture a collision between two cars. This is true for many accidents but does not include the other dangerous possibilities for accidents on the road. The participants, vehicle types, and other factors are key to developing a thorough claim for relief on behalf of the victims.
We can help with a variety of motor vehicle accident claims including:
- 18-wheeler crashes in Austin, Texas: A collision with an 18-wheeler can be traumatic. Often, accidents with these large vehicles can end in catastrophic injury or fatality. Attorney Glen F. Larson has familiarity with the unique elements of truck accident claims (like truck driver fatigue, and negligent hiring practices) to fight for you.
- Company vehicle accidents in Austin, Texas: Generally, when a company vehicle driven by an employee is involved in a collision, the companies are responsible for their actions. In these cases, the driver and/or company may be liable for damages.
- Austin DWI accidents: A DWI claim may cover drivers, passengers in either party’s car, as well as pedestrians. Winning such a lawsuit involves proving the driver was drunk, as well as his impairment leading to the victim’s injury.
- Austin Auto/pedestrian accidents: If you have been injured as a pedestrian, your injuries may be severe. Our Austin motor vehicle accident lawyers can thoroughly investigate the collision to determine fault for your claim to help you seek compensation.
- Motorcycle accidents in Austin, Texas: One negligent moment on a driver’s part can lead to serious consequences for motorcyclists. Issues of visibility and lack of protection can mean significant injury and heavy medical costs. Glen Larson is ready to fight for the relief these motorists deserve.
THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR CAR ACCIDENTS IN AUSTIN TEXAS
According to Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code section 16.003, any personal injury claim related to car accidents (whether being filed by a pedestrian, passenger, motorcyclist, or driver) must be filed within 2 years of the date of their accident. Failure to file your lawsuit within this time limit may result in your case being dismissed.
The same statute applies to individuals wishing to file a lawsuit over the damaged property (your vehicle). If you believe that you may not receive the amount of compensation you have requested and you may need to take your case to court, you should speak to our firm as soon as possible to determine what your next steps should be.
OUR TEAM IS READY TO HELP IN AUSTIN TEXAS
If you have suffered personal injury in a motor vehicle accident, we recommend contacting us today. Dealing with insurance companies and medical costs can be stressful—we want to ease these burdens while working for your compensation. Our Austin car accident attorneys are available to our clients 24/7 and none of our injury clients are charged until we win and recover for you.
Contact our Austin motor vehicle accident attorneys to request a free, in-person case evaluation today.
TEXAS CAR ACCIDENT FAQ
We understand that you may have a lot of questions in the aftermath of a car accident. Who will pay your medical bills? What will be your first step moving forward? To help put your mind at ease, we have put together some answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Texas motor vehicle accident law and the general process of filing a car accident claim.
HOW IS FAULT DETERMINED?
Fault in Texas auto accident claims is generally based on the legal concept of negligence. In short, drivers have a responsibility, or a “duty,” to obey all rules of the road and operate their vehicles in a manner that does not put others at an unreasonable risk of harm. When a person engages in reckless acts like driving while intoxicated, speeding, or ignoring signs or signals, they breach this duty and can be held civilly responsible for any injuries or damages they may cause.
Generally speaking, car accident victims must be able to demonstrate the following in order to prove negligence on the part of the defendant in their case:
- The defendant had a duty of care
- The defendant breached this duty
- The defendant’s breach of duty caused the plaintiff to suffer injuries
- The plaintiff suffered actual damages as a result of the crash
WILL I NEED TO GO TO COURT FOR MY CAR ACCIDENT CASE IN AUSTIN TEXAS?
It is possible but unlikely. Most car accident cases end up being resolved out of court through negotiations between the plaintiff’s attorney and the at-fault party’s insurance company. Your case will only need to go to trial if an acceptable settlement cannot be reached during the negotiations phase. This may occur if there is a disagreement over the true value of your case, there is particularly complex case law that applies, or if there is a dispute over who is at fault for the collision. Taking your case to trial may sometimes be necessary to help you receive the full compensation you need, but doing so is risky as it is not guaranteed that the court will rule in your favor. Your attorney will inform you of your situation and help you pursue the most appropriate course of action.
DO I REALLY NEED A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN AUSTIN TEXAS?
There is nothing in the law that requires you to hire an attorney after a car accident in Austin, Texas, though it is almost always in your best interests to do so. While it is true that you can likely get away with handling your own car accident claim if your case resulted in little more than cosmetic damage and a few bumps and bruises, if you have been injured to the point where you are forced to miss work or are hospitalized, you absolutely should at least speak to an attorney in Austin, Texas. Several studies have shown that car accident victims who hire an attorney are far more likely to receive a larger settlement than those who choose to handle their claims unassisted.
It is a good idea to hire a car accident lawyer if:
- Anyone was seriously injured or killed in the collision
- The driver who hit you does not have adequate insurance
- You are being unfairly blamed for the collision
- Your accident has prevented you from being able to work
- Your insurance company is disputing your claim
- You are in any way uncomfortable handling your own claim