What to Know When Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer in Texas
Our Glen Larson Law managing attorney and law firm founder, Glen Larson, has represented injured Texans — and injury clients throughout the United States — for more than 15 years with one important goal: To pursue dedicated results for the injured.
We believe our fellow Texans deserve to have access to premier legal representation, no matter where they live or work in The Lone Star State. Even if you do not choose our personal injury law firm, it is important to pick a reputable, experienced, and skilled attorney who can help you pursue positive results.
Here is what to look for.
How to Pick an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Texas
If you have been injured in an accident caused by negligence, you may have a personal injury claim.
When exploring your options to pursue the negligent party for your full financial recovery, the first step is to look for an attorney who specializes in accidents and personal injuries.
Simply put, you would not want to hire a family law attorney — who specializes in divorce and child custody cases — to handle a personal injury claim.
An experienced personal injury attorney will better understand the laws that apply to your case and have experts and medical professional resources to help you build a case and get treatment for your injuries.
Here is what to look for in a personal injury lawyer:
- Experience with cases like yours. This is especially true if you are involved in an 18-wheeler, rideshare, or delivery driver accident, as the investigation in cases like these requires precision and skill to achieve results.
- Financial and staffing resources to take your case. This is important when multiple parties are involved in the claim, or when pursuing corporations that have their own firepower to counter your claim.
- A positive success rate with cases like yours.
- Positive online reviews and/or referrals.
- Professionalism and integrity matter, including their offices, presentation, staff, and respect inside and outside the legal community.
- Check their legal organization memberships, affiliations, and impact in the community that may reinforce their reputation.
- Are they willing to go to trial? What is their law firm’s success rate inside the courtroom?
- Compatibility and approachability matter. You must feel comfortable with your personal injury attorney to achieve results. If you feel apprehensive during the meeting, keep looking. And before you make a final decision, be sure to interview multiple attorneys to ensure you are getting the best fit for your case.
Finally, if a Texas personal injury attorney is asking you for money, move on.
Reputable and trusted personal injury lawyers typically only work on contingency fees and should never ask for any of their costs upfront or before they will take your case.
What are Personal Injury Lawyer Contingency Fees?
Texas personal injury attorneys who are serious about their success only accept cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you do not pay any attorney fees until and unless the personal injury lawyer wins your case.
A qualified personal injury attorney who accepts cases on a contingency fee basis expects and does get results for his or her clients.
Is a Personal Injury Lawyer Always Going to Get Better Results than an Injured Person Handling Their Case Alone?
Words like “always” and “never” are finite terms most attorneys avoid using, and for good reason.
It is possible to settle a personal injury case on your own, and you may succeed in securing a financial amount you find acceptable. However, you may be doing yourself a disservice.
Partnering with a skilled Texas personal injury attorney will allow you to pursue each category of financial recovery you are entitled to by law.
That may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and benefits
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Miscellaneous expenses (childcare, transportation, medical devices, or appliances)
- Mental, emotional, and physical pain and suffering
- Scarring, disfigurement, and physical impairment
- Property damage
There is also an important advantage of allowing your personal injury attorney to handle the details of your case, so you can physically and emotionally focus on your recovery.
Those details may include, but are not limited to conducting a thorough investigation into the facts surrounding the incident, including:
- Interviewing witnesses and taking statements.
- Visiting the scene of the incident to take photographs and notes and make a diagram.
- Obtaining the police report when one exists.
- Obtaining and reviewing your medical records and any statements made by you or witnesses.
- Analyzing the facts of your case considering the law in your jurisdiction to answer the most basic question: Do you have a case?
- Prepare a demand letter in a format that encourages the adjuster to negotiate a prompt, fair. and reasonable settlement.
- Quickly recognize and deal with adjuster negotiation strategies, tactics, and tricks.
Each of these details is important because insurance companies routinely delay, deny, and undervalue claims, especially when dealing directly with consumers who are managing their recovery with the help of counsel.
In most cases, hiring a skilled personal injury lawyer will not only help increase the recovery amount, but will be instrumental in advocating for the best overall outcome.
If you have suffered an injury or lost a loved one during an accident in Texas, call our skilled Austin personal injury attorneys at Glen Larson Law at (512) 883-0277 or contact us online today to schedule a free consultation.
We pursue dedicated, driven results for our clients, and there is never a charge to talk to an attorney. We stand ready to help you.